Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Monday 24 October 2011

Nandos at home :)

The husband adores Nandos like possibly more than me but it is quite pricey and unfortunately we cannot eat out all the time! Here is my at home version - it was yummy and firey.

- To make the sauce blend in a food processor: half red pepper, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 5 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 scotch bonnet, 1 red onion, juice of 1 lime and juice of 1 orange. Simmer this in a saucepan to reduce - Season with salt, pepper, sugar, chopped coriander and turn off heat
- Bake 4 frozen mock chicken breasts of your choosing according to packet instructions until crispy
- Meanwhile boil 2 cups frozen peas, drain and saute in 1 tsp butter, 1/2 tsp dried mint, 1/2 tsp chilli flakes and 1/2 tsp salt. Mash a little to get that mushy pea effect
- Peel and chip 4 large potatoes - deep fry and sprinkle with paprika and salt
- Dip the cooked mock chicken in the sauce to thoroughly coat and griddle until charred black criss cross lines show.
- Stick it all on a plate and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment