Giving it a go

It would be a bit rubbish if I had married a veggie and instantly converted myself. That is just not the kind of person I am. However, living with a veggie has meant I have had to adapt and has opened my eyes to a whole world of wonderful food I had never experienced before. I love cooking and eating and sharing this with the person I share my life with is therefore obviously important to me, so this has meant when I cook for us both at home, I cook veggie. I am not dead set on becoming a vegetarian right now and am not sure if I will in the future but I have been so inspired by the many vegetarian/vegan blogs out there that I was itching to start my own. So here we go.

Monday 11 April 2011

Chickpea chilli with mashed potatoes and sweet peppers

This meal is not conventional but satisfies all my - it's Saturday night and I want something warm, filling, tasty, salty and spicy cravings!

- Empty 1 pack frozen soya mince in a bowl and microwave for 4mins
- Meanwhile dice 3 carrots, 5 garlic cloves and 1 big red onion
- Fry the vegetables in olive oil for 10 mins on low heat then add the garlic
- Add 1 tsp italian herb seasoning, 1 tsp dried chilli flakes, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp mixed spice and 1 tsp salt
- Bltiz a can of chopped tomatoes and add this along with half the can water and 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Bring to the boil then simmer until the sauce is thick (about 15mins)
- Drain 1 tin chickpeas and stir in for the last 5 mins of cooking
- Peel, roughly chop and boil 6 medium sized King Edward potatoes
- Drain and mash with butter, a little milk, salt and pepper
- Serve with 2 or 3 pieces of roasted sweet peppers from one of those lovely Spanish jars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment